Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Against Protectionism

In the midst of our ongoing economic difficulties, the tendency toward protectionism in our country has grown stronger and frequently manifested itself. This is understandable in the midst of rising national rates of home foreclosures and bankruptcies. An emotional and seemingly rational (if not somewhat resentful) reaction is protectionism, that is to assert that we’ve given enough to other countries and are justified in turning inward and looking to our own interests alone. However, as people of faith and as a nation, we must not forsake our tradition and heritage of giving to those people in other countries who are in even greater need; who live in even more dire straits than we do.
One reason for avoiding a protectionist response to our present situation is Biblical. It is commonly held that the Divine answer to Cain’s petulant question in Genesis 4:9, “Am I my brother’s keeper?” was a resounding “Yes!” Yes, we are our brother’s keeper, and therefore, cannot in good conscience adopt a protectionist stance and hide our eyes from the need of our hungry brothers and sisters abroad (or at home). Furthermore, to continue to stretch out our hands to the hungry is to follow the example of Jesus. In John 13:27-29, after Jesus says to Judas Iscariot, “That thou doest, do quickly.” we read of some of the other disciples that they “. . . thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.” (Emphasis added.) Granted there’s a lot happening in this passage, but pertaining to our topic here, the disciples’ assumption regarding giving indicates that this was not something unusual; that it was Jesus’ and their common practice. They gave to those more unfortunate than themselves. Whether one venerates Jesus as Savior and Lord or simply respects him as a great teacher, the point remains that this is the example he set for good disciples/students to follow. Jesus’ example is even more challenging and poignant when we read his saying in Matthew 8:20, “. . . the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.”, attesting to his own lack of wealth. One cannot faithfully obey Biblical teachings and Jesus’ example while simultaneously following a protectionist policy.
A second reason for avoiding protectionism was touched on in the previously paragraph, namely, that there is always someone worse off than ourselves to whom we can be of help. Please peruse the following information regarding the results of food shortages and drastic food price increases in various countries:

Afghanistan – Increased cases of families selling children, Rise in child labor cases
Egypt – 200 injured during protests against food (price) increases, Street fights over food
Pakistan – Increased number of suicides due to hunger and poverty
Yemen – Families cut meals to one a day, Increase in riots and robberies for food[1]

Thank God we are not so hard pressed as the people suffering these situations (and please God that we never are). This makes the point, though, that there are those in the world in much more dire straits than we are. Having the means, then, we ought, out of compassion and regard for their human worth and dignity, to do what we can to alleviate their suffering and reject a protectionist stance.
Finally, considering the words “do what we can” leads to the point that this maintaining a giving attitude is reasonable. God is reasonable and just; God is fair. Therefore, God (and reasonable persons) expect us to give according to our ability, both as individuals and as a nation. Bearing in mind that we are not being asked to give up our firstborn or our “seed corn” should help us to calm and avoid inflammatory protectionist feelings and reactions. This will help us focus on continuing to give, at home and abroad, according to our ability.
I hesitated to write this piece due to its subject matter seeming to be simplistic. However, I was recently in conversation with a usually courteous and kind Christian woman regarding this very topic of protectionism. She became so agitated and angry that she would not allow me to state my points, but instead cut me off in a fit of temper. This incident, along with discussions in the media and the above cited international data, convinced me instead that this was a timely topic, especially if our present economic situation gets worse before it gets better. In preparation against such a possibility, I encourage everyone to resolve ahead of time to remain generous people of faith, even if the temptation to protectionism gets worse before it gets better. Resist, resist, resist! Give, give, give!


[1] “Global Food Crisis: The Silent Tsunami, The Wave That’s Rippling Through the World,” Partnership: The Official Newsletter of Islamic Relief, (Fall, 2008), 5.

10 comments:

  1. Very articulate post, Debbie. I agree: most of the people we're "protecting" ourselves against have less than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Debbie! I also had a similar experience to the one you described in your final paragraph with a family member. Uncomfortable indeed, but helped me realize that the topic is not as simplistic as it might appear.

    I find it interesting how quickly fear of the unknown future takes hold in the psyche. This can result in people digging in and building up self protective barriers that seem to stand in lieu of faith. Perceived fear really can quickly overcome a person's best intentions.
    That being said, I agree as people of faith our challenge is to remain grounded in the promise of God.

    I heard a radio broadcast and then saw a news story on the TODAY show about the increase of drug addiction, specifically opium/heroin, among the people of Afghanistan, especially the young. The story highlighted a family of a mother and two children. The husband/father and other male relatives were killed in past fighting. The mother began using and now her children (under age 12) use. I thought, "wow, the pain of living really can take hold of people." I then thought of the absolute lack of options those in destitute poverty and living in war ravaged areas of our world have to change their circumstances. And we chose "protectionism" as a strategy? I don't know think I personally will be able to put my head peacefully on my pillow at night if I don't stand up for the least among us.

    Thank you again, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Debbie, for such a poignant post. In these tough times when so many people are losing their jobs and their homes, I think it's human nature for us to "circle the wagons" when things go bad. My own employer, a city government (where layoffs were previously unheard of) recently eliminated close to 200 jobs. Some of those affected by the layoff were able to find work in other departments, but about 130 people actually lost their jobs. Even my own family fell victim to this economy: my son, a young engineer, was laid off in February and decided to return to the Phoenix area, closer to family and friends, in order to look for work. Thankfully we have the means to provide him with a place to live while he continues his search...I shudder to think what could have happened to him if we weren't able to help. I agree that there are many people in other parts of the world who are much worse off than we are...but we have more than our fair share of poverty here in the US as well. I've volunteered in the homeless shelters, I've seen them sleeping on the streets, especially here where the climate is relatively mild. There but by the grace of God go I. And when we see the people who are suffering, closer to home, I think it's only natural for us to say "no, we need to keep our resources here in this country, to take care of our own house first. Because of my son's situation, it would be very easy to say that I can't give to others right now...but is that the right thing to do? As Christians, I agree we need to remember the poor, help the helpless, feed the hungry, whether they are right here in our own backyard or halfway across the world. Is it right for us to stop giving to organizations that help the poor abroad, especially during these tough economic times? I'm afraid I don't have the answer to that. Everyone must make that decision for themselves. But I do know that we don't have unlimited resources, and each of us needs to choose how and when and to whom we give a portion of what we have to those who need it even more than we do. I appreciate you taking a stand on this topic, Debbie. If we don't keep the issue in the limelight, I'm afraid of what might happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep saying this, Debbie, over and over to whomever. Hard times do not have to be so hard if the spirit of generosity and sharing abounds. People in need can be transformed by someone else's generosity. The problem with our free enterprise system is that it tends to pit us against one another, and the antagonism and stinginess that results makes us think like we're all alone. As long as we remember that we are a global family we can bring out the best in ourselves and each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie. I appreciate your essay. Your essay allowed me to have a chance to think of others who are in much worse than we are. Also, after I read your essay, I felt shame to myself because I have neglected people who need help in worst situations. Sometimes, I saw the campaign for needed on the television and I have compassion for people who are sleeping in the street and starve. However, I have given up stretching my hand and arm toward them. I have excused my action of neglecting other’s need like that I was also the needed and minority in the U.S.A. because I am an international student. Also, I think that I don’t have the ability to help others right now. I can and will help others after I come back to my country.
    However, your essay let me realize my fault which I did as Christian. I agree with you, Debbie. We need to remind ourselves of people who are in worst situation than we are. Also, we must help people with God’s love as Christians.
    From now, I will try to give my hand people who need help. Thank you for your essay again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that what you have written comes from a very humanitarian point of view. I agree with you, that we should help those more unfortunate that us but at the same time I came across an article I read by Garrett Hardin titled “Lifeboat Ethics: The Case Against Helping the Poor” and it made me re-question if helping those in need will fix the problem in the long run.

    Here's the link for the article http://www.garretthardinsociety.org/articles/art_lifeboat_ethics_case_against_helping_poor.html

    In the essay “Lifeboat Ethics: The Case Against Helping the Poor”, author Garrett Hardin argued that if we continue with the mentality of the “spaceship” metaphor, that all the inhabitants of earth should equally share its natural resources, in return will cause more harm than good to the environment. By persuading his readers to understand the reasoning that goes with the metaphor “lifeboat” that too many people in a lifeboat will cause it to sink. He refers to what will be the outcome if we keep sending aid to poor countries and allowing uncontrolled immigration. He points out that since the poor nations are reproducing at a higher rate than the rich, it will be nearly impossible to decreases the gap between them in the future. This is most in part due to efforts to create a “World Food Bank”, where food reserves used in emergencies to help poor countries. In actuality this will destroy the environment more. He suggest a proposal called “Green Revolution”, where the rich nations help the poor stand on their own by teaching them ways to improve their agriculture. To ensure hope for the future of our plant this method is one of our chances of survival.

    The saying goes "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life".

    I can relate to Hardin argument and it made me think twice of how our system works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it’s interesting that there are degrees of self-preservation; more so that values are placed on the different degrees. I’ll try and provide an appropriate argument to illuminate this: we should be judicial when we dole out food to other countries so as to maintain our ability. If we stretch ourselves too thin we may not be able to provide ample assistance to those in need, and would be at risk of becoming one of those in need. Protectionism is important to this extent. Beyond that, though, we should give what we can.
    Eradicating self-preservation seems to be an idea void of pragmatism or realism. I am interested in absolving self-preservation to any degree but it is not an easy position to actualize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tony – the last comment you made reminded me of a philosophical argument from my undergrad studies. Nietzsche “wrote” (I use quotes here because while he did indeed write the actual words, it is argued that his wife edited them and published it posthumously as a concise theory) a kind of psychological notion that argued all actions were efforts to subvert another’s will. The Will To Power argues that all actions, no matter what they are, are designed as a means to force ones will at the expense of another’s. Bringing a sick mother flowers or engaging troops to fortify land are both actions of the will. “Bit of a vicious cycle,” to quote a classmate. The problem arises when we apply this thought to religious exercises: there are no altruistic actions. How do we reconcile the idea that our desire to help others is in reality a selfish act?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your post and your spirit, Debbie. I agree with you that there are a lot of people in the world who are in greater need than us, even though our nation are encountering with economic difficulties. You also remind me the spirit of sharing and do what I can to help those in needed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your post. Its a good reminder of how much we don't appreciate our comfortable lives, and how easy we have it compared to so many other people. I know we are all struggling some way or another because of this bad economy, but we forget that we being in America have it so much better than other people in the world. We forget about others because we are so centered with our own problems. Which are sometimes nothing compared to what other people are going through.

    ReplyDelete